So, for 2013 I made 3 Resolutions: 2 of which I knew I would fail at and one of which was more like a personal thing.
1. Write a book that Oprah loves. (This is almost impossible, because many of the books she chooses for her book clubs– cant stand. Too depressing!)
2. Write a rock opera using the music of Bon Jovi. (I actually started on this one, a monologue interspersed with music… but had to shelve it. It was based on the worst of times in my marriage, and I was angry all the time while writing it. Angry. All. The. Time. Writing may be therapeutic, but as a mommy— I don’t need that anger hounding me. I still need to let some of it go before I can write this… So it is currently shelved, to be revisited at a later date.)
3. Pray every day for the women of the world who are marginalized. (I took this up when the poor women of India were in the news so often. It expanded into other areas of the world. I can’t do a lot for them, but I can do this. And this one I have kept.)
Here’s what really happened, though.
1. Took a fiction class at Writer’s Village University called F2K and one of the subsequent writing assignments was submitted to the WD Short Story competition.
2. Submitted work to an anthology (and was shot down).
3. Wrote 2 new short stories and submitted them (Still waiting to hear on these.)
4. On a lark, submitted a poem to the local paper and became their “Poet of the Week.” Go figure!
Might not seem like much, but it has definitely gotten my feet wet again. So I failed on what my goals were— still made forward progress and am STILL WRITING. WOOHOO! Yay for me!
SO here goes for 2014
NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS
1. Complete and submit 10 short stories.
2. Write more poetry.
3. Finish work on Novella currently working on (Not sure of title yet, might just be the first of the Soul Catcher series).
4. Plot and start a longer piece of work (we’re talking novel here, folks.) (also, might need to challenge one of my friends to this… much better than NanoWriMo for us right now. Nanowrimo is great— but I can’t devote that much time to writing in one month. My son’s head would explode or something)
5. Write on blog more regularly. Both reviews and on writing and life and everything in between.
So, if you’re a writer, what kind of goals do you have for yourself this year?